Laman



Thursday 13 March 2014

Simply Recipes: 3 New Recipes - Corned Beef and Cabbage and more...


Corned Beef and Cabbage

A St. Pat’s favorite, from the archives. First posted 2009. Enjoy! ~Elise

Last year for St. Patrick’s Day, my friend Suzanne had me over for dinner with her family and served the tastiest corned beef and cabbage dish. Usually we prepare corned beef and cabbage boiled, but Suzanne had baked her corned beef in the oven, slathered with sweet hot honey mustard, and sautéed her cabbage with onions on the stove top until they were nice and caramelized. I begged her to show me how she did it and recently we spent the day cooking together, making corned beef and cabbage both ways – oven baked and boiled. We did a taste test with the whole family that evening and the baked version won, hands down. Here I present to you both the baked and the boiled recipe versions.

Continue reading "Corned Beef and Cabbage" »

     
 
 
FeedBlitz Top Slot
powered byad choices

 

Sautéed Swiss Chard with Shiitake Mushrooms

I feel the need for something green! My friend Hank came to my rescue the other day with several bunches of Swiss chard that he had just picked from his garden. Normally I do just a simple sauté with Swiss chard. This time I decided to punch it up a bit with some shiitake mushrooms and Parmesan cheese. So good!

Continue reading "Sautéed Swiss Chard with Shiitake Mushrooms" »

     
 
 
FeedBlitz Top Slot
powered byad choices

 

Cod Poached in Court Bouillon

Court Bouillon. Sounds so sophisticated, doesn’t it? According to my 1961 edition of Larousse Gastronomique, court bouillon is “an aromatic liquid in which meat, fish, and various vegetables are cooked,” in other words, fancy salted water! (Ah the French, they make even the most mundane seem so elegant.)

Cod poached in court bouillon is a classic French dish, particularly in Provence. My Provencal sweetheart introduced me to this way of cooking cod, and I can’t get enough of it. It’s easy, fast, and the fish is perfectly and subtly flavored with the poaching liquid which has been infused with bay leaves, garlic, salt, and olive oil.

Continue reading "Cod Poached in Court Bouillon" »

     
 
 
FeedBlitz Top Slot
powered byad choices

 

 




Email subscriptions powered by FeedBlitz, LLC, 9 Thoreau Way, Sudbury, MA 01776, USA.

 

No comments: